The Prado at Balboa Park is a National Historic Landmark which was originally built for the 1915-16 Panama-California Exposition. This two year festival was held in Balboa Park to promote San Diego and to celebrate the 1914 opening of the Panama Canal. In 2000, The House of Hospitality reopened after a complete reconstruction and modernization. The 3-year renovation restored the building’s architecture, artwork, sculptures, alcoves, gardens and fountains. Every effort was made to historically renovate the House of Hospitality in keeping with its original Spanish, Moorish and Mexican architectural design. This is evident in over two dozen, original, hand-painted, wooden stencil designs on doors as well as the intricate hand stenciled ceilings and beams. The Donal Hord sculpture, “Women of Tehuantepec” still remains in the fountain of the building’s restored central courtyard.
The renovated House of Hospitality features lush historical gardens and a courtyard, elegant banquet rooms, romantic terraces and the outdoor grandeur of the historic Casa Del Rey Moro Gardens. The Prado at Balboa Park offers more than 22,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor event space and can accommodate groups of 20-20,000 guests.